Schools Liaison Officers
Generally, there is a Schools Liaison Officer (SLO) volunteering in each UK county. Their role is to promote a better understanding of engineers and the contribution engineering makes to society. They work closely with the local STEM Ambassador hub and local organisations to promote STEM subjects to children and young people aged 5-19.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- support schools and/or youth organisations’ STEM activities including careers talks, after school clubs and science fairs
- represent the IET at careers fairs and science fairs
- support applications to the IET Engineering Education Grant Scheme
- share information and best practice with IET staff.
All SLOs are supported by an IET Education Manager and receive the following training:
- STEM Ambassador induction and Enhanced Disclosure Check
- IET Education 5-19 induction session
- Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk training
- Data Protection.
SLOs can support projects or events using our education resources, which range from information on engineering careers to ideas for coding activities.
Let us introduce you to your Schools Liaison Officer – get in touch
Request a STEM Ambassador
STEM Ambassadors volunteer their time, enthusiasm and experience to encourage and inspire young people to achieve more and progress further in STEM. Over 2500 IET members are STEM Ambassadors.