Teachers and team coaches - FIRST® LEGO® League Explore
Team coaches are a huge part of what makes FIRST® LEGO® League Explore possible. Whether you are a teacher, parent or volunteer we want to say a massive thank you! You are enabling your team to engage in a fun, positive experience that will enhance their skills for the future.
You do not need any specific experience to be a team coach – just a passion for inspiring children and the ambition to develop their STEM, coding and communication skills!
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9 years. You can form this team however you like - through a school, as a family, with a community group or just a group of friends!
- Choose a Festival and register to take part. Team registration costs £37.50 (plus VAT). Once you have registered and paid, you'll be sent an Explore Set (big box of LEGO®), six Engineering Notebooks and a Team Meeting Guide, which will help you organise your team and guide them through the Challenge.
- Purchase a LEGO® Education WeDo 2.0 set. These are available from any LEGO® Education distribution partner or through our Official Mindstorms/WeDo 2.0 partners Raising Robots or Creative Hut.. You will need the WeDo 2.0 to program the model.
- Download the Challenge Document.
- Work through the Team Meeting Guide to complete the Challenge and allow the children to develop their poster and model.
- Bring your team to the nearest Festival where they'll present their work to other teams, share what they have learnt and celebrate their achievements. Each child receives a medal and certificate and the goal is to send them home feeling incredibly proud of what they have achieved!
FIRST® LEGO® League Explore – curriculum grid
We’re proud to have mapped FIRST® LEGO® League Explore onto the primary curriculum. We’ve developed this for teachers to easily connect the content of FIRST® LEGO® League Explore to their teaching, planning and the national curriculum.
FIRST® LEGO® League Explore – progression of skills
We’ve developed a useful progression of skills grid for FIRST® LEGO® League Explore which breaks down each curriculum subject covered by the programme and the skills covered within each. It enables teachers to see the progression of skills across year groups, meaning the programme can effectively be used long-term.